december 06, 2012

Heiankyo Alien for Game Boy +clone

Heiankyou Alien Box FrontYes I am in an active blogging period now, I don't know why I feel so inspired. Maybe it is the season.

Sometimes I refer to a game as a Heiankyo Alien game and it should be useful to explain what that means.

I think I bought this game at a fair in 2010 along with some other Japanese games. It took me a year before I realized what was on the box, but I think I can see it now.

According to Wikipedia:

Heiankyo Alien (平安京エイリアン Heian-kyō Eirian?) is a video game created by the University of Tokyo's Theoretical Science Group (TSG) in 1979. The game was originally developed and released as a personal computer game in 1979, and was then published by Denki Onkyō Corporation as an arcade game in January 1980. The game has been ported to several other gaming systems since its original release. The player controls a Heian period police officer (kebiishi) who must defend the capital city (Heian-kyō) from an alien invasion by digging holes in the ground and filling them back up after an alien falls inside. The aliens can escape from holes after a certain period of time elapses or if another alien passes above their hole. The player loses if they come in contact with an alien. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiankyo_Alien

In the Game Boy game you can play and Old Mode and a New Mode. The Old Mode has the original graphics from 1979, while the new mode has updated graphics.
  
I don't think there is much reason to play Old Mode unless you enjoy really old school games.

The video starts with Old and then goes over to New.
I would say the game quickly gets repetitive, but if you are the kind of person to enjoy Pac-Man the game may be for you. I give it 3/5.

I did however enjoy the "clone" Booby Boys for the game boy. It has some great music (esp the song starting at 06:20), and powerups and different worlds. Also, there is the strategy element in that you have to collect all the treasure chests on each level within a time limit while enemies are respawning. Because I had the patience to play and enjoy that game all the way to the end, I think I should award it 4/5.
Booby Boys (JP) By the way, booby refers to booby traps.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar